Sunday, April 23, 2017

Day 12 and I am 1 in 8

You might have seen around Instagram or Facebook recently banners that say "I am 1 in 8". What does being one in eight mean? Well, it means that the poster is one out of eight couples that struggles with infertility. Today is the start of NIAW, National Infertility Awareness Week and as such I feel it is my duty to say that we too are 1 in 8. We started ttc, trying to conceive, after we were married in Jan 2008. After a year of trying we realized that something wasn't right and after numerous tests we found out that I have DOR, otherwise known as Diminished Ovarian Reserve. You can read more about our journey HERE, in my introduction post.

Chances are good that you know someone who is dealing with infertility or that you yourself are in the trenches now. Once I became open about our struggles I was amazed how many people I knew that were going through or had gone through this as well. Its such a suffocating thing to go through. The one thing you want with your whole heart is out of your reach and some days you are just drowning in heartache. It's an awful rollercoaster ride that doesn't just affect you, but your spouse and sometimes your whole family. Please read more on the Resolve page. THIS link will help educate you and provide some quick facts for you so you may better understand what your family member or friend may be going through.                          (read more under picture)
Both Lily and Grayson are "IVF Babies". They are our miracles. Precious gifts from God, just like Asia is. I am proud and honored to be their mother. As happy as I am my heart still breaks a million times for my friends who are still struggling. I know what they are going through and unless you have grieved the loss of something you never had, it's hard to understand their feelings. I heard "just adopt", "maybe you aren't meant to have more children", "Just take Mine" and so much more. I'd like to include one more link that is so very important. Please check out 25 Things to Say (and Not to Say to Someone Living With Infertility). Though you may think you are being helpful with your jokes or certain "advice" you may actually be doing more damage.

To my friends who are still going through this and waiting for your miracle, known that I am here for you. I am praying for you and I love you. 




No comments:

Post a Comment