Thursday, April 6, 2017

"Rocking Motherhood Challenge"

So today's post is a bit different. I'm very honored and excited to have been tagged by my friend Kate, at One Pea In The Pod to participate in the “Rocking Motherhood Challenge” that was originally started by White Camellias. Let me tell you, this was not an easy task to write about! It took me little over a week to jot things down. To sit and think "yes, I am rocking this!" doesn't happen as much as it should. Being a mommy isn't easy and unfortunately it IS easy to get down on ourselves. This challenge has made me want to look at each day differently.  I don't want to go to bed and worry about the little things that didn't get done on my "To Do" list. I want to go to bed and realize that I made a positive impact on my children's lives.

10 ways I'm Rocking Motherhood

1. Projects. I'm big into DIY, crafts and painting. When I do projects for myself I try and always have a mini project set up for the kids. They love it! Lily just loves to create and Grayson, well I can already tell that he will as well.


2. I try to always make my family healthy balanced meals. This is not something I had growing up and it is so important to me that the kids eat healthy meals. Doesn't always happen but I do a pretty rockin' job. I take full advantage of Pinterest and the gazillion recipes on there. We have something new a couple of times a month. For example every time I make chicken, I will find a new way to make, marinade or season it. Tonight I made my go to chicken breast strips but made a garlic brown sugar sauce to bake it in. So good!

3. Baking. I let the kids join me in baking. I try to always set everything up in little bowls ahead of time so Lily is not waiting around for me to measure out ingredients. The joy Lily gets from helping make something is truly awesome.
Lily was probably almost 2 in this picture

4. Discipline and routines. Though not perfect and always adjusting when needed, I try to stick to what we have found works. Routine, is key but so is listening to body language and not just focusing on the actions or words. Taking the time to listen and emphasize with what my children are saying and feeling, is so important.

5. Being there even when I can't actually be there. Driving home from our vacation, I was 5hrs away when Asia called me to say she had been in a car accident. Her and her boyfriend were rear ended but luckily were okay. Asia was very shaken up and in tears. After making sure that she was physically okay I did what I could to try and calm her down and reassure her that it's normal to be a "mess" after something traumatic. That it was okay to cry.

6. I used car driving time to talk to Asia. About her friends, life, plans. We talked about everything in the car. Sometimes I think it's easier for discussions to be in the car since you're both sitting and not facing each other. Keeping communication open and as non judgmental as possible has really helped our bond and has let her know that even though I am her parent, she can still be open with me. I hope that I will be able to have this trust and bond with both of my younger children.
Me on the left, Asia on the right (don't worry, we were parked here)


7. When Asia was in her early teens she wore heavy eyeliner and ridiculous shirts. Recently she asked me why I let her dress that way. I told her I choose my battles and felt that the makeup and shirts (not low cut just black and "darkish") were a phase. It wasn't extreme or harmful or something that she couldn't later change. When she wanted to get her belly button pierced at 14, 15 and 17, I said "no" and made her wait till she was 18. Same with the nose piercing she wanted and now has chosen not to get. I picked my battles but let her find herself at the same time.

8.  Being a teacher. Being a teacher has not only helped me understand, teach, guide and create fun learning experiences for my kids but has inspired Asia to actually pursue a degree in Early Childhood Education as well. Fyi- I totally asked for her help here because I ran out of things! She also likes that I can help her with lesson plans!

9. There are times that I feel like a single mom. When Paul is home he is constantly helping out with dishes, the laundry and with the kids. I'm very lucky. However he goes through weeks of working non stop doubles. I might see him for 15-20 minutes before he goes to bed before another shift. He works so hard for our family. It's not easy. It's stressful and exhausting for both of us. I was a single parent when Asia was younger so please don't take offense if you truly are a single parent. Just saying that there are times that I truly feel alone. I just want a break or someone to help me with dinner or tubby time. Sometimes I just want to sit and talk to not just another adult but to my partner and other half. Sometimes I just want to go to the bathroom by myself! However as you know that's not always an option. I don't always "rock" this part of mommy hood but I try. I try to tell myself that I did a good job with dinner, reading stories or putting together the same puzzle for the millionth time, running to different appointments and errands on my own with a screaming toddler and baby. Some days are better than others. Which leads me to #10 below.....

10. Taking care of myself so I can take care of my family. After Grayson was born I had to finally come to terms with the fact that I needed to see my doctor. Something was "wrong" and I needed help. I was diagnosed with postpartum related depression and anxiety. I didn't make the connection at first because for the most part I was genuinely happy throughout the day but then would randomly become a mess. Something ridiculous and small would set me off and I would become "ragey". I was okay one second and then snap the next. I would break down over the fact that it was raining and so many different horrible scenarios would go through my head on why I couldn't leave the house. I believed that I was a horrible mom and going crazy. "Something isn't right, somethings wrong" would go through my head all day. I didn't know that these feelings and reactions could be postpartum related, since nothing was towards the baby, till I talked to my friends on my online infertility support group. Heck, I didn't even know there was such a thing as postpartum anxiety! Once I sought help from my doctor not only did it feel like a weight was lifted but I felt like me again. I even saw a huge difference in my 3yr olds behavior once I was able to take care of myself. Another thing is, I try to keep myself busy but also try to find "me" time. I love that I'm doing this blog for example. It's not the best, let's face it I'd win the "rookie blogger of the year award", but it makes me happy and let's me be a little more than "just a mom or wife" for a bit.
Thanksgiving 2016

Well, there's my 10! This post took me close to two weeks to write. The rules state to tag 3-5 other mommy bloggers. Since I'm so new to the blogging world I don't know any other mommy bloggers 😮
So, if you read this long post and are a mommy bloggers, I'd like to challenge you!
Leave me a comment or message I can follow you and feel free to tag me in your Rocking Motherhood post 😃

#Rocking Motherhood Tag Rules
1. Thank the blogger who tagged you and link to their blog.
2. List 10 things you believe make you a good mother. (This is only a guideline. You can have more or less than 10.)
3. Tag some bloggers to join in the #RockingMotherhood Tag. (3-5)
4. Grab the #RockingMotherhood badge and add it to your post or sidebar.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment