Monday, July 3, 2017

The Weaning Process

The kids and I spent yesterday out back in the pool and in the garden. Figured we'd have a nice relaxing Sunday since we have been going non-stop since last week. After awhile I brought the kiddos inside for a little snack and to breastfeed Grayson. While I was laying on his new big boy bed, feeding him, in his soon to be new room it dawed on me that this is one of the last few times that I will be feeding him in this manner. In a few short days he will be moving out of our room and daddy will help with the weaning process. Our time breastfeeding will be over. This stage in our bonding will be over for us.

So this morning, to preserve how truly wonderful it was to be able to breastfeed, we had a small photoshoot. I know not everyone would share these pictures. However, I think they are beautiful. This is a natural and beautiful experience that woman are able to provide nourishment to their children. I was unable to breastfeed Asia, and I swore that when I had more children I would breastfeed them. After so many excruciating years of infertility I was more determined than ever to be able to breastfeed. It's not as easy as one would think. Those first couple of weeks can be very draining and emotionally hard on a mother, especially when there is latch issues. And the pain? Oh, no one tells you that it can be painful. You have to get that latch perfect or you may end up with dry, and bleeding nipples. It can be an exhausting time. One that leaves you raw and sleep deprived and leaves your partner feeling helpless. It truly can take a village at times to "get it down". With the help of nurses, friends, lactation consultants and breastfeeding groups. Pumping is a whole different issue with work, timing, and ounces and so on. Luckily this time around I had the option to just stay home, not work and nurse on command.
I sent this picture, above, to my grandmother. She said she thought it was beautiful but was afraid that some would see it in a negative light. After reading her text I knew that I had to share it. Breastfeeding is not unnatural. It should be the norm. I have always breastfed whenever my children were hungry. Mostly at home but at times I've had to while pushing a grocery cart, while shopping at the mall, at the park, in restaurants, in the car and even while bowling. I also did not cover myself. I did not cover myself because not only do I not have too but because you can't see if your child is latched on correctly, and it gets hot under a blanket! Have you ever tried to eat under a blanket? Not too convenient. Really, unless you are really staring you probably couldn't even tell that one was breastfeeding. Except the grocery store one....that was interesting. I have only ever once received a glare from someone, but I know others get yelled at, talked down to, judged and oh so many glares. It's not right.


Breastfeeding is a natural, beautiful experience that should not be seen in a negative light. It is a peaceful and miraculous thing to be able to provide for your child in this way. It is something that I will truly miss. This time I have been fortunate enough to have to dedicate to my son, has been a blessing. I look at these pictures now and see that bond that we have created and my only regret is that I don't have any like this with Lily...and even with Asia, though she was formula fed after two weeks.





No comments:

Post a Comment